Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Readers' forum

06 October 2005
Issue: 4028 / Categories: Forum & Feedback , IR35
Scholarship income

We act for a UK company which has one director who is also the sole shareholder. There are no other employees. The principal activity of the company is general support and provision of architectural/interior design services. The director/shareholder will be providing these services and this September she has enrolled with a recognised college for a year to study either on a full time or sandwich course relating to her profession. Thus she will be training as well as providing services to third-party customers. There is neither a contract of service nor a contract of training between the director and the company.
The question is whether the company can pay £15 000 for the academic year 2005-06 towards her lodging subsistence and travelling costs under HMRC's Statement of Practice 4/86?
Will the company be able to obtain tax relief for this payment against its profits? In...

Only subscribers may read the full article

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.
back to top icon