Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Zut alors

07 May 2008
Issue: 4157 / Categories: Forum & Feedback
Obtaining late double tax relief

A French domiciliary who was UK resident and ordinarily resident paid tax here on remittances of French earned income up to August 2004 when he returned to his homeland. Now having registered with the French tax authorities he has to pay back tax (and penalties) in France and wants a credit in the UK for this French tax in the relevant years up to the extent of the UK tax. If granted this would of course result in a refund of UK tax paid. The French tax is to be paid half now and half by instalments this year. Can we repair the UK tareturns and obtain relief for this French tax?
Query 17 195 — émigré.

Reply by Scorpio:

émigré does not indicate whether the income is from employment or self-employment activities nor the circumstances in which French tax has become payable. It is therefore assumed...

Only subscribers may read the full article

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.
back to top icon