Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

American songbook

16 October 2012
Issue: 4375 / Categories: Forum & Feedback
A UK musician has gone to live in America for a year. He will receive income from engagements there and continue to receive royalties from the UK

Our client is a musician. He gets lots of work in this country and is VAT registered. We are on top of the UK side of things.

We do all his accounts and complete the VAT returns. He has now gone to live in America for a year.

While there he is earning from engagements and of course his royalties continue here plus he returns to the UK to make individual appearances and do other paid work.

Oddly enough he doesn’t have a residence in the bricks-and-mortar sense in this country. He is renting a property in America.

Readers’ suggestions would be very welcome as to how we should tackle this American aspect. We have a feeling that we need an American accountant to deal with things over there as far as the incidence of tax on income is concerned.

But do we charge VAT to the...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon