Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Land consultant

16 April 2013
Issue: 4398 / Categories: Forum & Feedback , VAT

When considering the VAT liabilities of a land consultant, it is important to draw a distinction between property management services and property investment portfolio management services

My business specialises in giving tax and management advice to property investors.

Some clients are based in the UK and some live abroad but all the properties are in the UK. My concern relates to VAT and whether I am providing a “land” service or a “consultancy” service.

In the case of the former I know that I must charge VAT on my services if the property is based in the UK. In the latter case I do not charge VAT if the customer is in business and is based outside the UK or if he is based outside the EU and has business or non-business status.

In many cases my clients are based in Dubai and Saudi Arabia but am I providing land or consultancy services?

To give specific details my service is often linked to a particular property in London –...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon