Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Farm capital gains

09 December 2014
Issue: 4481 / Categories: Forum & Feedback , Capital Gains

Potential CGT reliefs on the sale of farmland to pay for a farmhouse

A husband and wife partnership operate a tenanted farm under an Agricultural Holdings Act tenancy together with some land that they own personally. One succession remains on the tenancy and the farmer’s son (not currently a partner) intends taking on the farm in the future.

My clients are looking at the possibility of providing a house for their son and may fund this by selling some of the owned land. The house will not be located on the farm but will be relatively close by.

If the land is sold a sizeable gain will arise and I am now looking at the capital gains tax position.

In the first instance this is the sale of a business asset rather than a part of a business and so will not qualify for entrepreneurs’ relief. However if the sale is related to the parents bringing their son into...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon