Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Card for California

30 June 2015
Issue: 4507 / Categories: Forum & Feedback , International , Residence & domicile

A UK citizen is moving to the US. Does the type of visa affect the client’s UK tax liabilities?

My client is a UK citizen who wishes to move to California with his family and will be applying for a US E-2 visa. My question is if the client is earning in the US living there and paying US taxes will he also be liable for UK tax?

The client has a buy-to-let property in the UK. His intention is to sell it once he is in the US. Can readers advise on the country in which he would be liable to pay capital gains tax?

Perhaps I should stress that the client will initially have an E-2 visa rather than a green card. Will this make a difference when the client sells the UK buy-to-let or are there any tax reasons why he should wait for his green card before he sells the UK property?

Query 18 606 – Surfer


If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon