Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Readers' forum: Student support

18 August 2015
Issue: 4514 / Categories: Forum & Feedback , Income Tax
Do tax liabilities attach to the funding of a student’s post-graduate studies?
I am a mature student who is self-employed but I receive state benefits based on my low income. I am about to embark on a post-graduate course but currently student finance cannot be used for such educational programmes. However a generous friend has offered to help me with the course fees (£7 000) together with a further £4 000 to help towards my living expenses. I know; I am very lucky.
My question for Taxation readers is whether I will have to declare any or all of this as income for my self-employment. In my mind it is in effect a gift and the £7 000 will be paid out straightaway towards the course fees.
As an aside or comparison I did wonder what the tax situation might be had I applied...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon