Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Readers' forum : Furnished holiday let

07 June 2016
Issue: 4553 / Categories: Forum & Feedback

Can a claim be made for ITA 2007, s 120 loss relief on a UK holiday letting?

My client is engaged in a UK furnished holiday letting and has incurred losses. These losses can be attributed to valid capital allowances arising from claims to annual investment allowance on furniture white goods and so on. I have indicated to my client that FA 2011 restricted sideways loss relief from holiday lettings and that such losses can now only be carried forward against any future profits from this business.

My client has challenged this approach asking me to identify what is the statutory basis for denying him a claim under ITA 2007 s 120 (property loss relief against general income) for losses with a capital allowances connection.

Clearly a furnished holiday letting is a UK property business (ITTOIA 2005 s 264). ITTOIA 2005 s 327 dealing with capital allowances and loss relief for such lettings makes clear that the calculations need to be...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon