Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Readers’ forum: Non-domicile charge

30 August 2016
Issue: 4565 / Categories: Forum & Feedback

A non-domiciled taxpayer wishes to start remitting overseas income to the UK.

A new client has been paying the non-domicile charge since its introduction but wishes to bring income into the UK. The guidance he was given was to declare a figure of £1 as being remitted on his tax return each year. However no remittances appear to have occurred.

Can the amounts paid under the charge be used to ‘frank’ income payments now remitted to the UK and if so to what extent? For example can he use the accumulated charges to bring in a large lump sum in one go?

Conversations with HMRC have failed to produce any useful information.

Taxation readers’ thoughts would be helpful on this subject.

Query 18 839– RP.


Reply by Terry ‘Lacuna’ Jordan

RP’s client is domiciled outside the UK at general law and we are told has been paying the remittance basis charge (the RBC)...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon