Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Readers' forum : Claim or disclaim?

25 April 2017
Issue: 4596 / Categories: Forum & Feedback

HMRC’s RTI treatment of employment allowance for ‘one-man companies’.

As I understand it a ‘one-man company’ no longer qualifies for employment allowance deduction against class 1 National Insurance. I currently have three such companies on annual PAYE schemes for which I have just processed the annual salary so it is only now that I have realised that the HMRC RTI system seems to award them the employment allowance anyway.

I submitted the details of the payment to the director which showed the correct earnings-related National Insurance contributions (ERNIC) deduction. I then clicked ‘calculate amount due to HMRC’: the system calculated ERNIC and then removed it with the employment allowance.

There appears to be no immediately obvious way of disclaiming the employment allowance – there may be a setting somewhere in the RTI system that I need to find but I have yet to do so. I will tell the clients to pay the higher amount...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon