Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Readers' forum : Polish company

06 February 2018
Issue: 4634 / Categories: Forum & Feedback

Should a UK company run by directors living in Poland have a UK VAT number?

I have taken on a new client from a local firm of accountants and I have some concerns about VAT.

The client is a UK company but both directors (who each own 50% of the shares) live in Poland and each director has his own separate Polish company. There is no UK office or premises and no UK-based employees.

The UK company provides computer design services to UK-based architects – the latter are all VAT-registered. However and somewhat strangely the UK address for VAT purposes was the address of the previous accountant and it is now expected that my office will become the contact point.

My concern is that the UK company should not really be VAT-registered in the UK because it is an overseas company based in Poland that is trading in the UK in other words based on the residential address(es) of...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon