Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Readers' forum : European citizen

13 March 2018
Issue: 4639 / Categories: Forum & Feedback

Social security payment application concerning workers in the UK and EEA.

Our client is an accompanying spouse of someone who is seconded to the UK for five years. They have their own business in the European Economic Area (EEA) but will become resident of the UK after spending enough days with the family here. Their working pattern will break down roughly into three days in the EEA and two in the UK (from home).

I understand that my client is considered habitually resident in the UK and would be to liable for UK National Insurance. However they would prefer to carry on paying into their home country’s social security system.

We are about to submit an A1 application under Art 16. We are aware there is an explanatory letter to be provided accompanying the application as well as the declaration from the individual but I am still unclear how to approach this.

What should normally be included in these...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon