Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Readers’ forum: Housebuilder

16 October 2018
Issue: 4668 / Categories: Forum & Feedback , Residence & domicile

DIY or company route for a new house?

I have a client who owns a VAT-registered building company and is looking to buy a plot of land to build a new house for him and his wife as their main residence.

He has asked whether it would be better for him to buy the land in his limited company and then claim all input tax on building materials and professional fees or buy the property jointly with his wife and claim any VAT on materials through the DIY scheme. Do readers have ideas on which is the best option?

Once the property has been completed it would be sold to him and his wife by the company anyway if this route was taken. Does this create a stamp duty land tax hurdle?

Query 19 250– Builder.


Reply by Milano

Invoices from the building company to the client should be zero rated.


If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon