Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Readers' forum: Hand out

13 November 2018
Issue: 4672 / Categories: Forum & Feedback

Capital gains tax on contribution to property purchase.

A client wishes to provide £200 000 to help his son buy a property for £500 000. There will be no mortgage it will be the son’s only residence and he will live there alone. A declaration of trust is to be put in place stating that on any sale my client will receive the sum of £200 000 or two-fifths of the net proceeds of sale whichever is the greater.

I believe the son’s share will be covered by only or main residence relief for capital gains tax but if the father gets back the £200 000 I presume there is no tax consequence. However if he receives any more will he be liable to capital gains tax on the gain in value?

If the father dies is it the case that the property would have to be valued for the purposes of...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon