Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Readers' forum: Family first

11 December 2018
Issue: 4676 / Categories: Forum & Feedback

Transferring part ownership of property to family member.

I have a client who bought the family home some years ago. It was purchased by the client his wife and his daughter in one-third shares.

The parents and the daughter’s family have occupied it as their only or main residence since acquisition.

The mother and father each wish to transfer one-half of their share in the property to their daughter but the two families will continue to occupy it.

The market value of the one-third share the parents wish to transfer is £400 000. They are considering two options. First they could make an outright gift to their daughter. Alternatively they could each make a gift of £200 000 to her and she could buy a one-third share from her parents.

In either scenario I believe that only or main residence relief for capital gains tax will be available to the mother and father on...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.
back to top icon