Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

New queries, issue 4678

08 January 2019
Issue: 4678 / Categories: Forum & Feedback

Rural payments; A trust event; Hair-brained scheme; French flat

Rural payments

Tax liability on income from the Rural Payments Agency.

We act on behalf of several clients who although no longer actively farming receive payments from the Rural Payments Agency under the basic payment scheme. I understand that to qualify for this they need only maintain the land in good order and keep it available for agricultural purposes in the future.

Historically we have disclosed the income on the clients’ self-assessment tax returns as ‘other income’. Although it hardly seems to qualify as trading income I have started to wonder whether it might qualify for the £1 000 property income allowance?

Readers’ views would be...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon