Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Insurance for a tax practice

16 April 2019 / Richard Curtis
Issue: 4692 / Categories: Comment & Analysis
Take cover

We have probably all heard the quote: ‘To err is human; to forgive divine.’ As tax advisers the reality is that we are dealing with human beings not gods and increasingly another saying may be heard: ‘Where there’s blame there’s a claim.’ These can involve substantial sums and prudent advisers will make sure they have insurance to cover for unforeseen eventualities; but what types will be required?

Professional indemnity

The first type of insurance that will occur to the tax adviser is professional indemnity. Tax can involve large liabilities and the wrong advice can result in a client who is more than a little disappointed – they may have taken steps or incurred costs on the basis of that advice and will seek recompense if it was incorrect. Was a claim not made in time or was it not realised that a liability would arise in particular...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon