Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Readers' forum: Rumours

17 June 2019
Issue: 4700 / Categories: Forum & Feedback
Tax planning ideas for a singer and songwriter.

One of my clients has asked for some advice for his daughter. She has a dog-walking business and declares this income on her self-assessment tax return. In her spare time she is a singer and musician and in 2018-19 she started to earn some money from this. Some of this is from gigs in local pubs and events and some is as a busker. I can see that she should declare the income where she is being paid formally but what about the money from busking; is this just a gift? Further this of course gives rise to a related question: must the full amount be taken into account when considering whether her turnover has exceeded the VAT threshold?

On a slightly more complicated matter it seems that some of her songs are receiving a lot of attention on the internet and her father tells me there...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon