Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Readers’ forum: Reducing chargeable gains on the sale of a freehold property

04 March 2024
Issue: 4927 / Categories: Forum & Feedback , Land & property
Rollover relief plan

My client purchased freehold land and buildings some years ago for use in his trade. He is now selling and will realise a capital gain. He has some qualifying expenditure to roll the gain into but not enough to shelter the whole gain.

It has been suggested that as the real increase in value over the years has been largely on the land rather than the buildings I can treat the land and buildings separately. For example using illustrative figures:

One asset

Land and buildings proceeds:                                     £800 000

Cost:                                                                                £400...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon