Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Readers’ forum: Tax treatment of UK- resident’s growth shares

29 April 2024
Issue: 4934 / Categories: Forum & Feedback , Residence & domicile
Growth shares

Our client was employed by company A in Hong Kong in 2011. Company A has its headquarters in the UK and has a branch office in Hong Kong. A offered growth shares in 2012 when our client was non-resident in the UK but resident in Hong Kong. The growth shares which have not been used are still available but our client left the company in 2014. Our client is now UK resident. Company A is looking to list in the US stock exchange. Our client has been offered two options by the company: to take cash now to redeem the amount of growth shares; or new shares will be offered once the company is listed in replacement of the old shares with the same conditions attached.

It has been informally advised that option A will be treated as a taxable dividend if our client is UK-resident. However ...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon