Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Readers’ forum: VAT confusion for Spanish expat playing in the UK

18 January 2022
Issue: 4824 / Categories: Forum & Feedback
UK concerts

I act for a client who now lives in Spain – he performs as a singer in bars and cabaret clubs in Benidorm on a self-employed basis and is registered for Spanish VAT.

He is now in the UK performing at a number of carol concerts at different venues; some of the venues that will pay his fee are VAT registered but not others. For example he is singing at two private Christmas parties and a new year’s eve party and will invoice the hosts. Hopefully during his stay in the UK he will gather a few contacts to enable him to return next year to play some more venues.

With regard to VAT should he charge Spanish VAT on his fees or because he is performing in the UK will he avoid a VAT problem because his fees will be less than £85...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon