Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Tax tip: NICs

13 May 2024
Issue: 4936 / Categories: Forum & Feedback
National Insurance for a client working for a foreign company.

With the increased ‘internationalisation’ of work advisers may have private clients who are working for foreign businesses which have no formal presence (eg a branch or permanent establishment) in the UK. In such cases it is common for these companies to state that the UK workers only have a ‘service agreement’ and that they are self-employed rather than employees.

So what does this mean for NICs? The answer is ‘it depends’. It cannot be assumed that only class 4 contributions are due. Rather one needs to consider whether the client is genuinely self-employed. Or are they – in accordance with wider UK tax law – an employee? Moreover if they are an employee one needs to check where their employer is actually based. Are they for example based in an EU (or EFTA) state or a non-EU state?

Clearly if the client is...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon