Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

New queries, issue 4357

12 June 2012
Issue: 4357 / Categories:
A round tuit, Not quite divorced, Corporate rent, Renewal refusal

A round tuit

If say a husband owns a property for example a house that is let out and it would be more tax efficient for the property to be in his wife’s name (e.g. because the income or gains would be subject to lower rates) he can transfer the legal interest into her name. I have heard that rather than go to the trouble and expense of actually conveying the property he could sign a deed stating the he holds the beneficial interest presumably as a bare trustee on her behalf.

Could the same be done for shares held in his name? I have suggested to my client that (subject to the normal provisos) it would be more tax efficient if his shareholdings were held in his wife’s name so that he did not have a higher rate tax...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon