Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Sewerage farm

28 May 2013
Issue: 4404 / Categories: Forum & Feedback , VAT

A local water authority owns land that adjoins a farm. The authority wishes to carry out work to its property, which will require access to the farmland. Compensation has been agreed but will this be subject to VAT?

Our clients are a farming partnership. Some time ago the local water authority purchased some land from our clients and equipment relating to the sewerage system was installed on it.

However the water authority now needs to use part of the adjoining land (still owned by my our clients) to enable work to be carried out to the pipework on their property. The pipes also run under our clients’ farmland.

The clients have negotiated compensation of about £10 000 from the water authority for the use of the farmland and the cost of restoring it to its previous condition afterwards. But do they need to charge VAT on that amount?

Readers’ advice on this topic would be very welcome.

Query 18 195 – Pipe Man

Reply from Andrew Rainford

Based on the facts presented Pipe Man’s clients do not need to charge VAT on the...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon