Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Readers' forum: Down on the farm

15 November 2016
Issue: 4576 / Categories: Forum & Feedback

The level of farm activity required to achieve entrepreneurs’ relief.

My client has owned a joint share in some land for many years. At various times it has been rented to several farmers but my client or his co-owners have never used it in any kind of business. An agency that specialises in obtaining planning permission for housing development has now approached the client. It has suggested that he can significantly reduce his capital gains tax exposure on the disposal of the land by forming a farming partnership.

I can see that this might be possible but I wonder what the minimum level of activity is required to achieve the desired entrepreneurs’ relief entitlement. My client is over 70 and lives some distance away from the land. He is certainly not going to want to get his hands dirty.

Is it true that entrepreneurs’ relief will apply to the whole of the gain if the land is used...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon