Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Readers' forum : Living costs

09 May 2017
Issue: 4598 / Categories: Forum & Feedback

A barrister is working temporarily in the US, but will the costs be allowed in the UK?

My client is a barrister who is UK resident and working here. He is taking a sabbatical from his job in this country and is going to work in New York for about six months. I understand that he will receive a small contribution towards his living and travelling costs. However the actual expenditure will far outweigh what he expects to receive.

The experience from the work that he will be carrying out in the US will enhance his skills set and as a result it is anticipated that this will ultimately benefit his business back in the UK.

Naturally the client has asked us whether there is any scope for claiming as a business expense the costs that he will incur during his six-month stay in New York. I have the Healy case (TC4425) in mind – I realise that the taxpayer lost that case...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon