Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Scottish sounds

07 December 2010
Issue: 4284 / Categories: Forum & Feedback , Business , Income Tax
On the basis that a friend does the same thing, a musician plans to buy a home on a Scottish island and rent a home on the mainland, claiming the cost of that property as business expenditure

Our client has advised us that he intends to buy a home on a Scottish island.

He then intends to rent a property on the mainland and has asked if he can claim the whole costs – rent heat and light etc. – as expenses against his self-employed income as a musician.

He assures me that ‘a friend resident in Cornwall but renting in London’ has been doing this very successfully for years.

Am I right in thinking that this is not correct because HMRC would regard the island home as a ‘holiday home’?

I have said that a proportion of the mainland property expenses could be claimed as business use under the ‘use of room as office’ rules.

I would appreciate any advice or guidance around this subject that Taxation readers are able to provide.

Query 17 714– Muso...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon