Taxation logo taxation mission text

Since 1927 the leading authority on tax law, practice and administration

Back to university

04 March 2014
Issue: 4442 / Categories: Forum & Feedback , VAT

A construction company is carrying out work for a main contractor on a university building. The contractor has asked the company to charge VAT at only 4% to reflect the level of input tax recovery

My client is carrying out some building work on a new university building. The building will apparently be partly used for a “relevant charitable purpose” by the university this purpose being linked to research activities.

This is where things become a little more complex.

My client has received a copy of some very detailed and confusing correspondence between HMRC and the university’s accountants. The letters talk about a 4% input tax recovery on the project costs by the university linked to the fact that there is 96% non-business use.

The contractor for whom my client is working has therefore asked my client to charge VAT on only 4% of the total invoice value because the other 96% of the work is linked to a charitable use.

To illustrate this would mean that on a supply of labour and materials with a value of £1 000...

If you or your firm subscribes to, please click the login box below:

If you are not a subscriber but are a registered user or have a free trial, please enter your details in the following boxes:

Alternatively, you can register free of charge to read a limited amount of subscriber content per month.
Once you have registered, you will receive an email directing you back to read this item in full.

Please reach out to customer services at +44 (0) 330 161 1234 or '' for further assistance.

back to top icon